'the adventures of a thirty-ish university graduate' or, alternately and perhaps much more aptly: 'as mad as a barking fox'

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

catch you by the heel

my sister went on this sock momkey making craze two summers ago. there were bits of sock and thread and stuffing all over her room. embroidery floss was at an all time high for demand since the friendship bracelet craze we both went through back in the mid nineties. the results, however, were entirely worth it.

kelly's first sock monkey became a favourite of mine. his name was dooey [because he looked like dooey from malcolm in the middle, big ears and all] and me and him, well. we became pretty good pals. i would sneak into to kelly's room and "borrow" dooey all the time. we'd hang out in my room, read books, maybe do some blind contour and listen to music. however, kelly always stole dooey back because he was, after all, hers.

[let me interject my wonderful story here for a moment- yes. you read right. this was two years ago. and i was hanging out with a stuffed toy. shove it ok? i've always had what is referred to as a powerful inner world.... i realize that this should not justify my hanging out with a sock monkey, but...well. whatever. why am i even bothering to justify my actions? oh right- pride. well, i'm not too concerned about what you think about me and my sock monkey. emphasis on the too].

anyways, when i went off to school, kelly slipped dooey into my things and officially gave him to me. it was a difficult thing to do, though, because he was her very first sock creation.

so i've decided to take pictures of the sock monkey all over campus and all over ottawa and mail her the pictures. i think i need to realize though, that all of my pride will be destroyed because how is is not possible to laugh at a uni student snapping photos of a sock monkey?

carrying him everywhere in my purse doesn't help either.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Oh, Dooey.

And don't feel bad about hanging out with a sock monkey. I hang out with a yeti named Martin. Maybe we should get together, dress them up, and have a pretend tea party.

Oops, now I have bad Domlijah images in my head.

11/16/2004

 
Blogger James said...

"Yar, the Cap'in is up on yon poop-deck! onthisfinemorn "

11/16/2004

 

Post a Comment

<< Home